About Me

My photo
Cherry L. is a dessert junkie and self-proclaimed psycho genius dreaming of world domination while creatively avoiding scandals. When not engaged in social interactions, she subconsciously slips off into a parallel universe. Easily distracted by pretty boys and strange objects. Her demonic kiasu-ness and notorious procrastination are genetic.

Friday, January 2, 2009

2009

About the mystery of my sudden disappearance, speculate no more. In order to escape the year end disasters of 2008 in Malaysia I decided to seek refuge in Siberia under the care of my imaginary brother Fei. During my 3 month retreat, I have learnt the basic mating language of penguins, learnt how to catch fish from the polar bears and 3 ways how to not to wrestle a whale. I have returned wiser and more enlightened to the effects of global warming.

(Jo, look how much your crap blog influenced me. x)

Then again, how else do artsy-fartsy people like us who live with stacks of paper containing legal diarrhea, deadlines, insensitive clients and demeaning bosses survive this world without some crazy humour..

I have returned to work at ‘the Office’.

*My place of work will be referred to as… ‘the Office’. (for security reasons ahem)

Anyways, working here in 2009 is different from a few years back when I was a mere peon clerk because I have my personal FILES. FILES in which my head is at stake should I mess up in potentially 1 million different ways. I am officially initiated into the world of white collars (because Kai-ma thinks it’s unbecoming to wear Bohemian inspired attire while I’m conversing with clients).

Day 1

8:30am : I was in time for work (Fuahahahaha. Eat your heart out all of those who have doubted my ability to wake up before 9 am and be on time for work.)

8:32am : My office is brilliant. I am facing my boss (and sometimes his grumpy clients) directly, separated by a sheet of glass. No really, my office is brilliant. I’m sharing it with Abi but it is spacious enough to accommodate our two desks, 2 sofas, lotsa cupboards, our brand new typewriter and maybe an airbed. Thank you to Ryan for rearranging my new office till the point you got injured in the course of duty. I will think of you every time I look at my furniture… >3<

9:20am : I took 1 hour to admire my office organized my desk and computer while waiting for the boss to come in. When they did, I was immediately assigned a FILE. So a typical first day of work for me would be naturally start off with plenty of confusion and weird events like discovering a mistakenly assigned file in which we only found out it was mistakenly assigned AFTER I have prepared executable documents, bills and a cheque.

10:40am : Other than learning how to manage files, I had to learn how to endure the bitter cold. Kai-ma insists that we must have the air-conditioner at full blast ‘in the event’ where a client walks into out office (predictably, such person did not appear) and finds our office warm and stuffy.

11:20am : I was told that I should cease being friends with the photocopier because there were more urgent duties to see to than to hang around the copier dreaming about what I’m going to have for lunch while waiting for the 108 pages of my SPA to be copied. I was to bestow the manual labour of photocopying to others from now onwards… *gasp*

1:30pm : I was so hungry I finished a plate of rice during lunch. *shocked*

2:40pm : Works like crazy. Wished I could ‘kage bunshin’ because I had to be everywhere at the same time and listen to multiple people give instructions at the same time. I think I went up and down the stairs about 10 times today. In-out office 30 times +.

5:35pm : Today I managed to learn:- Maybank loans, Public Bank loans, RHB loans… Starts to get a migraine. I had so much information passed on to me, I didn’t even dare to breathe, in case some of the things get exhaled out of my memory along with the carbon dioxide. I was to come to the office again tomorrow. Saturday. To learn more about loans.

6:45pm : I was so hungry (again) I downed another plate of rice. I have never in the past 4 years of my life had 2 bowls of rice a day and still feel hungry enough to eat carrot cake after that. My brain has incinerated all my food for fuel today…

Thing is, I’m not going to complain about being sucked into doing Law. How much worst can life get? I’ve already received all the major blows within a span of 3 months and I somehow survived it all and am constantly working to make my life much more meaningful. I have managed to stabilize myself on a solid position of positive thinking and I must admit it has worked wonders. Life sucks but once you’ve learnt to take on the bull by its horns (naturally you’ll get mauled half to death in the beginning), persistence eventually prevails, but learn to back off sometimes to rethink your strategies and choose your battles wisely. Challenges, if they don’t kill you, will only make you stronger.

I quote from Mulan, “The flower which blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all.” What a kick-ass quote.

I'm going to sleep with a bloated stomach...

No comments: